FEFU School of Engineering "ICE MECHANICS" Annual International Winter Course
"ICE MECHANICS" is an annual international Winter Course.
It was established in 2015 at School of Engineering (FEFU) as a part of activities accomplished by the International Scientific and Educational Center ”Arctic” (ISEC “ARCTIC”).
The Far East of Russia is the largest region for the program of Arctic development in the coming decades. The purpose of the course is as follows:
- to obtain new knowledge on marine ice engineering with the purpose of the offshore exploring of the Arctic and the Far East;
- to improve the representation of sea ice properties in the engineering tasks for the Arctic and the Sea of Okhotsk shelf and to involve students into the research activities in this area;
- to develop informational platforms for communications between domestic and foreign professionals;
- staff training.
The students may investigate, how the ice strength and its other properties, and ice inhomogeneity are defined using the experimental equipment on-site and in the Laboratory facilities. In particular, the students make focus on the ice abrasion of concrete samples dependences on the ice properties considering the influence of normal stress, sliding rate and ice temperature. The research topics cover the operations of ships in the Arctic and sub-Arctic seas and ice-structure interaction.
The course demands:
1. To develop understanding of ice as a natural material, e.g. understanding of ice properties and features and knowledge of the ways and techniques for the laboratory or full-scale ice measurements and/or observations;
2. To expand the knowledge about the influences of ice on ships, coastal and offshore structures.
- Basic understanding of ice physics and mechanics;
- basic skills for ice loads calculation of offshore structures;
- basic understanding on how the physical environment influence on ice loads and how structures respond;
- skills in operation of the equipment used on-site and in the laboratory for defining ice properties;
- skills in carrying out a test on physical and mechanical properties of ice.